• Roadsides and other disturbed areas, a potentially serious environmental weed.
• Shattering of pods causes local dispersal of seeds in the vicinity of the parent plant, while vehicles and flowing water disperse seeds longer distances.
• Dense stands inhibit growth of other species and reduce ground cover.
• Perennial woody shrub or small tree to 9 meters high.
• Alternate “feathery” leaves.
• Small white flowers occur as round, fluffy balls about 12mm.
• Seedpods are flat, 8-20cm long 1.5-2cm wide, and arranged in clusters. They are green and turn brown when they mature.
• May be toxic to some livestock